Translate

Wednesday, May 9, 2012


My brother introduced me to them back in 2002 if I remember correctly. I remember being blown away by the album cover alone. I stared at it for a while taking in all the imagery, this was my first foray in the world of stoner metal. I mean, just like any other metal head I loved Sabbath, just the first four for me thanks and I couldn't get into Ozzy's solo stuff. It was too depressing to see him with a Goldilocks perm. Black Sabbath was the root of it all, when I first heard that song it was the soundtrack to the world ending. That slow crawl, the three note riff which was chilling in its simplicity, the lyrics of eternal damnation all coalesced into a masterpiece. It was this masterpiece that paved the way for future generations to be inspired to take it to the next level. Electric Wizard was on another level for me, let's go back to 2002 and discover them together... After taking in the imagery found outside the case and within I popped the Cd into my car stereo. I remember thinking I wished I had this in gate fold vinyl, like the Black Sabbath reissues I found that remind me of my childhood. The intro to Vinum Sabbathi hits me "If you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you could get out. One is death, the other...Mental institution." Boom the fucking bass hits like Godzilla advancing on Tokyo. My brother and I just looked at each other like "What....The.....Fuuuuuuuck!" I had to turn the bass down fast or risk blowing the windows out. Then the guitar joins the sonic assault, the riff I found to be easy to play since I was seriously into guitar back then. Just because I found it easy to play, it did not mean it was so incredible to hear. Then the lyrics came in, Jus Oborn's voice had some seriously awesome effects on it that remain throughout the rest of the album. When I first heard this song I was blown away, it was so fucking heavy! I urge you to check out the rest of the album, it's out there trust me you will not be disappointed.
I'm going to destroy what's left of my hearing now with this album again.

No comments:

Post a Comment