Translate

Monday, May 14, 2012

The Creeping Flesh

I remember years ago catching this late night while my wife was at work. I was so damn bored and after going through pages and pages of mind numbing pop culture titles on the Ondemand service I found this title. The summary sounded ok, and the title resembled A Metallica song back when they were good. You know, Creeping Death, anyway moving forward...
I decided on it, I mean it was free and it had Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in it. You younger people will recognize Christopher Lee in his great portrayal of Saruman in the Lord of the Rings film adaptations. The movie is basically about a scientist who brings a skeleton back from Papa New Guinea. Strange occurrences begin and our protagonist begins to suspect the skeleton is actually the remains of a malevolent being. I do not want to give away too much, but I have to discuss this scene because it sent a chill down my spine.That had not happened since I was seven years old when I first saw Night of the Living Dead.
Now I have to do this of those of you seeking out this great film:
Huge Spoiler Alert! Do not click the link before seeing the movie!


Ok, my good deed is out the way time to get to the part that had me up all night relishing in the fact I was actually scared.
This scene is incredible to say the least in my humble opinion. There is Peter Cushing with a horrid look on his face as he realizes what has finally come for him. I love this! This is real fucking horror people, I mean get past the fact that it is an old movie and the effects are not million dollar computer generated crap. Who cares? This is true terror building up slowly inside the protagonist as he tries every last effort to escape the creature. The reveal was amazing, the whole scene coalesced into terror perfection. Cushing is at the top of the stairs looking down and his reaction when he realizes what is happening is acted wonderfully. The shots that showed Peter Cushing at the top of the stairs and the creature's shadow are delightfully terror inducing. Before the creature comes up the stairs, you see Cushing thinking hard about where to run and the way his face and body trembles is an incredible display of talent. The look of horror almost to the point of madness as he stares wide eyed was so incredibly done I was on the edge of my seat. Then the creature makes it's way up the stairs slowly each step producing a dull thud. The rest you will see in this short clip, one final thing I would like to point out is the effect it had on me. This was the horror I was looking for! I mean, I have been so disappointed with the bullshit Hollywood tries to pass for horror. I was so excited for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake and in the end it was a festering pile of shit. Of course they did not stop there, Hollywood panders to the lowest common denominator which is insulting to people who want more. Over the top gore is not horrifying and not shocking at all. There is not substance, not like you would find in this movie. I was so delightfully terrified if that makes any sense. It had been a long time since a horror movie had me so thoroughly entertained and anxious to see how the protagonist would survive, if he did. I love this movie, I am so glad I found it by accident. I urge you to check it out and get the full story to better appreciate the elements of suspense and terror that truly had me on the edge of my seat!

Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKvaJiTBHNs

Hold on, I need to answer the dull thud at the door.....

No comments:

Post a Comment